1. What does literacy rate mean?
2. Name 10 countries that have a literacy rate over 99%.
3. Make a list of at least 3 reasons why you think this might be so.
4. Define what ‘good education’ is.
5. Is Australia a lucky country with regards to literacy? Why?
6. Name 6 countries with a literacy rate under 50%. Why do these countries have such a low literacy rate? 7.Research and use facts to support your opinion.
Based on this data, complete the following sentences;
I’m not sure…
8. The total number of children out of school fell from 106 million to 57 million between 1999 and 2011. Why?
9. Globally, 123 million youth (15-24 years old) lack basic reading and writing skills. 61% are women. Why?
10. There is a direct, positive correlation between womens education and increasing children’s chances of surviving, in turn becoming healthier and better educated. Why?