Figurative Language Analyser

When reading your chapters, look for 3 uses of figurative language by the author (similes, metaphors, idioms – see description of each below). Set your work out in the table as follows:

In your Literacy Circles meeting session:

• Have your group members go to the location of each use of figurative language
  • Have someone read the sentence that uses the figurative language aloud
  • Lead your group through a discussion of the figurative language and what the author was trying to say
  • Share with your group what you interpreted the meaning of the figurative language to be

_________________________________________________________________________

FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE OVERVIEW

SIMILE: Uses either the word ‘as’ or ‘like’ to compare 2 things to build an image in the reader’s mind.

For example: The house was as big as a blue whale OR The house was big like a blue whale (these compare how big the house is to the size of a blue whale)

METAPHOR: Suggests a resemblance between 2 things by saying that one thing is something that it isn’t (not literal), thus making an implicit comparison.

For example: My fingers are iceblocks (tells the reader that the fingers must be extremely cold – the fingers are not literally ice-blocks!); The children in my grade are angels (suggests that the children in the grade are lovely, well-behaved children – they are not really angels)

IDIOM: A peculiar expression that is not literally happening.

For example: It’s raining cats and dogs (implies it is raining very heavily – dogs and cats are not literally falling from the sky!); I’ll be keeping tabs on you (meaning I will carefully monitor what you are doing – I will not be keeping ‘tabs’ on you)